A tasty budget friendly recipe, this recipe can be tweaked for different diet types and can be doubled up to feed the freezer - see our tips at the bottom.
3 tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt
1 finely chopped onion
2 crushed garlic gloves
1/4 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
2 rosemary sprigs, leaves finely chopped
2x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
1/2 tbsp brown sugar
6 pork sausages
150ml whole milk
350g Mezze Maniche Rigate pasta
Grated parmesan to serve
1. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, add in the chopped onion with a pinch of salt for 7 minutes. Add the garlic, chilli, smoked paprika and rosemary then cook for a further minute.
2. Pour in the two tins of chopped tomatoes and sugar, simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Squeeze the sausagemeat from the skins and stir to break it up, fry for 5-7 minutes until golden.
4. Cook the pasta for 13 minutes, or shorter if you prefer a firmer 'al dente' texture.
5. You may want to taste the sauce at this point, if it needs a little more sweetening, add up to another 1/2 tbsp of brown sugar, if it is too sweet you can add some more chilli flakes or smoked paprika.
6. Add the sausagemeat and milk to the sauce, simmer for a further 5 minutes.
7. Serve with grated parmesan (or cheese if you prefer).
- Double up on ingredients and once the sauce is made, allow to cool. Once cool transfer into portions and freeze
- For a vegetarian option swap the pork sausages for some red lentils or some delicious portobello or wild mushrooms